View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Betsy puts Mad River Barn up for Sale 

Post Betsy puts Mad River Barn up for Sale
http://www.roth-realestate.com/property ... tingsID=54

The times they are a changing!

Wonder far the The “BARN” property consists of 13+/-acres and buildings including the Main Lodge,and the farm house extends up to the ski area?

Thu Sep 30, 2010 7:36 am

Post Re: Betsy puts Mad River Barn up for Sale
The property is contiguous with MRG and one can, in fact, ski from MRG right to the Barn. :D

Wed Jan 26, 2011 10:31 am

am I the only one who sees the 20th hole and the Barn as something the co-op should be concerned with and maybe take an active role in securing it for the future? I recall an artists rendition in the echo in maybe 2001/02 of a 'wilderness" chair, about 100 yeard behind the barn, only accessible by riding up the single and skiing down to it,(i.e. no parking at the barn to start your day there... no lodge, just a warming hut...looked pretty nice, no one has been able to find it for years. i know it sounds ambitious, but it wouldn't hurt to take a look at the co-op acquiring both the land and property. i know that Betsy wants far too much for it, however there may be creative solutions. (partnership, joint venture, long term financing, revenue based price...the list goes on) I remember when I wanted to sit down with her and explore the issue, the board "gagged" me on the issue, and disbanded the 20th hole committee. The fact that for several years there was such a committee should say something!

shm

Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:39 am

i think it sounds like a good idea... what were the reservations... initial cost, upkeep, etc. ?

Thu May 26, 2011 6:08 pm

the listing includes either the entire plot, 20th hole all land, all buildings, or just the barn and annex. i believe the cost for all is about ½ what we paid for the single. I really think that the board should conduct a feasibility study of securing this, somehow, for our future. The restaurant used to be one of the most popular in the valley, and having our own hotel would open up countless new revenue opportunities. Granted, it might not be possible, but we won't know if we don't try. hell, who would of thought that we'd raise 2 million in donations to refurbish a chairlift that people have to pay to ride! Since the single chair project the board has been pretty quiet, so I can't imagine they are too busy to look into this. There is also the chance that an "unfriendly" would buy it and put in a "wilderness snowboarding" area, and ban skiers!!! with a winter like this, we need to keep our eyes open for new and creative opportunities to preserve MRG. this could be one.

shm
kabul

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:17 am

i just took a look at all active topics on the forum. there have been over 1000 hits on this. that's 3x the next most visited! come on people, voice some opinions…maybe its a horrible idea, maybe it will save us, but we're a co-op. we own the mountain and can say how we want it run, and set priorities. let's hear some chatter, pro con or otherwise!!!!! :idea:

Tue Feb 14, 2012 1:22 am

There isn't much to talk about. I hope that doesn't sound like I am trying to quell discussion, but at the last Shareholder meeting, it was made clear that the asking price of the land is well beyond what the Coop can afford. If the asking price for just the 20th was within our purchasing power, I think it would make a fine discussion and I'd be in favor of the land purchase for the right price. But right now, the asking price is far beyond even discussing it seems.

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:07 am
Profile YIM WWW

there is ALWAYS something to talk about. i do not know what the other shareholders think, nor Betsy, but I do know she has two listings, one for the barn alone, one for the entire package. I'm almost certain she'd entertain an offer for just the 20th, and there are numerous creative ways to structure a deal, conservation easements, joint venture, partnerships, the list goes on. At one point, Killington was very interested in buying it, then doing a deal with the National Parks Service wherein the 20th would be closed to all skiers in exchange for them being able to open up some land on their hill. Luckily it didn't work out. Betsy also has got to the point of designing a neighbourhood in the 20ht land, something like schuss pass. Again, just sitting, but she could move at any time. in other words, there is a lot at stake for the co-op, and at the very least lest look at it, get creative, not just say no…we said NO to wind power as it wouldn't work, hell if I can get a design for wind powered internet workstations for rural Afghanistan, I think there's a way to devise some wind power for MRG. the discussion was squashed without any investigation, simply a word from management saying "it won't work"…this approach is very frustrating…given how tight things are now, and the position of the co-op, meaning almost debt free, i really think we should investigate…it doesn't cost anything to discuss…what would shareholders like to see there, sit down with Betsy, chat with her…when I was chair of the 20th committee, I wanted to have a 'free form" discussion with betsy, see if there was some common ground. the Borad said wait, and wait, and wait…3 years…then the committee was disbanded. and maybe there is nothing, but rather than just sitting on our thumbs doing nothing, lets make a real effort to explore creative options that have a win win outcome…is there anyone on the board willing to take this on? does anyone else really care/see the importance of this? is anyone even reading this? :?:

shm
Kabul Afghanistan

Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:00 am

Steve,

I would like to clear up a couple things about your post on Mad River Barn. First - The board and management continues to monitor what is going on with the Barn, 20th, and Mad River Corp. In short the Coop does not have the resources to purchase. However, we have and continue to explore other opportunities for that area. Second - Your info on wind is incorrect. We have researched wind and then determined it does not work at MRG. Wind studies show to much or too little wind to be feasible for this area. Thanks for your continued interest in the Coop and be assured the board and management continue to look for new options to improve the Coop.

Sincerely,

Jamey Wimble
President/GM

Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:38 pm

Post Wind and additional revenue
Speaking for myself and not for the board...

On the wind topic...I believe that in addition to the limited wind resource, past boards and management have learned from experts that commercial scale wind machines regularly throw ice 250 feet from the bases of their towers. With the Long Trail running along our ridge top and the layout of our trails, this pretty much precludes the development of wind on MRG's property. Too bad because it would be cool.

On the flip side, management announced at the last board meeting that an agreement has been reached with Verizon to install a cell antenna on/near the Birdland lift drive station. Verizon has agreed to replace the power lines to the Birdcage/Birdland saving us significant money and they will install fiber optic lines in our base facilities so that we can better support our growing web traffic and customer internet use. The rent, avoided costs, and increase in our ability to meet customer expectations will all be welcome.

Sure do hope it snows alot soon,

Jim Elkind

Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next