View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:10 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
the Pub 

Post the Pub
I just had the pleasure of skiing the past seven days at MRG and want to give props for the food in the Pub. The selection is simple but seems to have improved over time and the food tastes great (chicken salad wrap, grilled portabella burger, etc) and is not exorbitantly priced. I do have one question though and while it doesn't quite rank up there in importance with the BAMP, snowmaking expansion, 20th Hole acquisition etc it is one of those things I find a little inexplicable - what's with the bag o' chips with pretty much every meal, even if a basket o' fries is ordered? I've seen a lot of chips go to waste this week ... Maybe make that optional? Of course a customer always could simply say "hold the chips" but I always manage to forget to, whereas if the server asked if I wanted them I'd usually say no.

Anyway, the coop seems to have done real strong business Thursday through Saturday (a little less on Sunday in the cold). Good to see, and as I needed to pace myself anyway the lift lines didn't bother me.

Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:58 pm
Profile WWW

Post Re: the Pub
Good point about the chips. I'm sure Michael will see your post and make note. Since you brought up the pub, I just wanted to say how much I appreciate Michael and his work. He has shown initiative in many areas as our 'food manager'. I'm not aware of ever running out of food during barbeques as had happened in the past and he seems to always be looking for the little amenities (napkins and ketchup on the tables) that make the pub seem like a more professional eatery. His summer dinners have been a huge success and brought more people to our mountain for another reason than skiing. I think, however, a little more advertising about these dinners would be a good thing because a lot of locals aren't (or weren't) aware that MRG is an option for dining out in the area.

Mad River Glen parties, the Gala, Stark Mountain events are being catered in-house because Michael likes to cook and is willing to do it after a long day at the mountain. He makes sure the staff is adequate and he does innovative food for these events. We must be saving a lot of money because of his willingness to manage these events and the food has been artfully presented and delicious.

Thank you, Michael, for everything you do .
Vivian

Tue Mar 18, 2014 5:42 pm

Good call on the chips. The first time I ordered a burger in the pub, I didn't know it came with chips so I ordered fries as well and had too much food, I would have preferred one or the other. It was a while ago, I know enough now, but it is always great to see things through the eyes of one of our guests and try to improve the little things like that. I concur that the food at MRG is great.

The BAMP does include much needed expansion for food services, though I don't know how much is planned for the guest side of the counter. But I cringe every time a food service worker has to slide past a grill cook and the frialator. It is only a matter of time before there is an accident back there due to lots of folks moving about in tight quarters.

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Tue Mar 18, 2014 8:50 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Thanks for the words on the pub. I will pass on To Mike.

Jamey Wimble

Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:10 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]