View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Unconventional Snowmaking for MRG - EE needed 

Post Unconventional Snowmaking for MRG - EE needed
I'm developing an unconventional snowmaking system to work within MRG's business model and physical constraints. It will be well-supplied, distributed, and computer controlled (oscillating SnowAtHome snowguns). I have block diagram designs for the main system control board and snowgun control boards, and I'm looking for an Electrical Engineer who would have an interest in working with me to do the actual board layouts, prototypes, and working out the bugs. The stronger the interest and motivation, the better! If you are interested or know someone who could be interested, drop me an email at david.stein@dms-ent.com or comment on the post.

Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:11 pm

Post Re: Unconventional Snowmaking for MRG - EE needed
what is a snow at home snow gun, and how do you solve water supply problem

Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:27 am

interesting. The water supply certainly has to be figured out. On average it takes 200,000 gallons of water to cover 1 acre in 1 foot of snow. This number varies based on the temperature and humidity...

The design and function of a typical "SnowAtHome" snow gun requires compressed air. Is this including a plan to distribute smaller compressors or pipe (centrally located) commercial trailer type compressed air to all of the guns? Either way there will have to be something included that will dry the air from these units (ever heard of Rime ice?). Having worked at an investor owned ski area's snowmaking dept, I can tell you that the single biggest maintenance and expense involved with snowmaking (including labor & energy costs) is the compressed air system.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 am

I am not re-inventing snowmaking guns capable of using ground (warmish) water as they already exist, off the shelf from www.snowathome.com (I have already both constructed and tested one from their supplied parts, and I have purchased an SG6 model for my testing and demonstrating use). I also have the requisite air compressors and pressure washers for testing.

As for dried compressed air, the design does encompass that, both large volume cold air and small warm for automated line purging. We at Mad River are all acutely aware of the water issue and I'm very familiar with both our water constraints and the VT DEC regulations on groundwater withdrawals for snowmaking. See http://dec.vermont.gov/sites/dec/files/ ... -02-15.pdf and http://dec.vermont.gov/water/groundwate ... withdrawal for details.

I'm not going to go into all the technical details, but the board is in favor of the concept and we've had lots of discussions about it. It is now up to me to get the prototype developed to the stage where I can demo the system to the board and answer some very specific questions they need the answers to before we go to a pilot system, prospectively on Waterfall Cutoff. This is why I am searching for an EE that is motivated and capable of helping me get two PC boards developed and prototyped and debugged.

Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:48 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]