View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 6:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
FYI: Mad River Valley Flooding 

Post FYI: Mad River Valley Flooding
As most of you know, Vermont sustained significant damage in the wake of Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irene. Many of us measured over 7" of rainfall during the day on Sunday, which fell across the entire Mad River Valley and watershed. Sadly, this caused significant destruction and damage to homes, businesses, and infrastructure throughout the state and the Valley as well. For those of you from out of state please note that most roads have sustained damage and your “normal” travel paths have most likely been affected; expect delays and creative detours.

Volunteer efforts have been ongoing and are heartwarming. There was a Valley-wide meeting last night at the Big Picture theatre with local and state government representatives providing updates on status, plans, and the processes involved to obtain funding for repairs. We are all hopeful that a Federal Disaster declaration can be made to enable emergency funds to flow.

Many have asked how they can help. Most towns have their websites updated with the latest road closure and repair information as well as links to blogs and Facebook pages for real/near-time updates regarding volunteer needs. Additionally, the Mad River Valley Community Fund has reopened their Flood Relief fund that was initially established after the 1998 flood. The Mad River Valley Community Fund is a 501c3 that has been serving the Mad RIver Valley for over 20 years and distributed over $100,000 in flood relief after the 1998 Warren Flood. Online tax deductible contributions can be made at http://mrvcommunityfund.org or mailed to POB 353, Waitsfield, VT 05673.

- Lars

Wed Aug 31, 2011 9:14 am

Post Re: FYI: Mad River Valley Flooding - Updated Drive Informat
Cross-posting information regarding Food/Clothing Drive for flood victims:

Drop items at Waitsfield Elementary School
9/2 Friday – 8:30 am to 7 pm
9/3 Saturday – 8:30 am to 7 pm

NOT ACCEPTING FURNITURE but will take inventory. EMAIL BETH (bcochran1434@aim.com) if you have furniture to donate and she will match you with someone in need.

Bedding, linens, personal hygiene items were not on the email below, but are needed too!

UPDATE : The Mad River Drive has become so large that the National Guard will take our items (including by air) to other Vermont communities in need too. There will be press on this on WCAX tonight. Beth has 300 volunteers for the 2 days to sort the stuff. People are coming from as far away as Boston, NY, and Maryland to help transport things.

**Mad River Valley Flood Drive**

Please donate any clothes (that are in decent condition), that you or your children no longer wear, ALL sized are needed, where people of many ages suffered great losses, due to Hurricane Irene. Please do not forget about you old infant clothes, where many families that have been affected have infants.

Toys (and books) are welcome too, there are a great deal of children who are at a loss as well, and would be forever grateful to whomever was kind enough to donate, to have a toy or two to play with.

For food, we are looking for non- perishable food items...as nutritional as possible, but I am certain snacks would be enjoyed also. Please remember, there are many people still without power, when you are deciding what non-perishable food to donate.

After Friday, I will be distributing the clothes, toys, books and food to Moretown, Waitsfield & Waterbury, the items you donated will then be distributed amongst the towns, to families in need.

If you happen to be interested in donating your time as well, I would be greatly appreciative, please send me an email at bcochran1434@aim.com and I will get back to you with further details.

In addition, if you could re-send this email to everyone you know in the Central Vermont, it would tremendously help me to get the word out, regarding this Drive.

Thank You,
Beth Cochran
bcochran1434@aim.com

Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:42 am
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]