View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
new forum 

Post new forum
Wow! Registering was not easy! Couldn't read the numbers and letters in the funny little box and tried it about 8 times before it was accepted. We're in now, but I have to say this is much more cumbersome than the old listserve. I will probably adjust, but I already miss the old way. Ah, progress. Onward!
Vivian

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:12 am

Post Re: new forum
Yes, those little "anti-spam" thingies are often hard to read. Happy to have the new forum up, and I look forward to some fun and useful discussions with my MRG compadres!

Cheers,
John

Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:15 am

This so much better. Thank you!

Now let it snow!

Fri Sep 03, 2010 11:31 am

Fritz&Vivian wrote:
Wow! Registering was not easy! Couldn't read the numbers and letters in the funny little box and tried it about 8 times before it was accepted. Vivian

Roving SPAMbots can now use optical character recognition to decipher the numbers and letter in those funny little boxes, gain access to forums, and post SPAM (we who are Star Trek fans know that computers and robots are essentially evil, are out to get us, and must be destroyed by Captain Kirk).

Getting the letters balanced between legible to humans and legible to robots is a tricky balancing act. I followed some overly aggressive recommendations from another web site, and must admit I had trouble reading them myself. I have eliminated the 'background noise' -- let's see if that is a better balance.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 12:40 pm
Profile WWW

Vivian, once you get used to the forum, you will wonder why it took the powers that be so long. This is a great way for us as a group to communicate, and won't fill up your inbox with a bunch of stuff. (unless you want it to)

There are many possibilities here, such as Volunteer forum, classified, ride share, racer or freestyle forum,

I belong to many forums, and have learned much. I already see some familiar names (hello Treeskier). I hope this catches on.

Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:39 pm
Profile WWW

Excellent! I will probably be a more active participant in community communications on this forum rather than the ListServ (now if only SkiVT-l would follow suit.... ;) :lol: :mrgreen: ). To be frank, I usually just deleted the ListServ messages when replies began to get out of control or signal to noise ratio began slanting towards the latter.

Unfortunately, the funky letters during registration have become a necessary evil on most online communities to filter out spam. The benefit of this one time annoyance is that very little spam will get through, unlike the ListServ.

For those unfamiliar with the forum format, you will notice a link for FAQs near the top of the page which will help answer some of your concerns or questions. You can customize your profile in the Control Panel link near the top of the page (add your location, a signature for ending your messages, or a picture--aka an avatar--if you choose). My favorite way to read forums is the View New Posts link located under the date in the upper right hand side of the forum.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any troubles using the system. Forums have become the standard for online communities and you'll find more experienced users very willing to answer any questions you might have.

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Fri Sep 03, 2010 7:32 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Fritz&Vivian wrote:
Wow! Registering was not easy! Couldn't read the numbers and letters in the funny little box and tried it about 8 times before it was accepted. We're in now, but I have to say this is much more cumbersome than the old listserve. I will probably adjust, but I already miss the old way. Ah, progress. Onward!
Vivian

Hi Vivian,
Hang in there !!! Sanity will prevail, I hope !!

I would like to reply to Vivian here, but it appears that I will not be able to do it. The post will append to the list and she will have to discover that someone was attempting to comment directly on her post.

Sat Sep 04, 2010 5:22 am

Lee et al.,
It seems to me that private messaging is disabled, at least for the time being.

Liz Godwin

Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:20 pm

starkmtn wrote:
Lee et al.,
It seems to me that private messaging is disabled, at least for the time being.

Liz Godwin

Hi Liz,
I agree. Checked FAQ, My settings in User Control Panel are enabled.
Conclude Administrator has not yet enabled private messaging.

Will add anything I learn to the Test Thread.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:35 am

riverc0il wrote:
Excellent! I will probably be a more active participant in community communications on this forum rather than the ListServ (now if only SkiVT-l would follow suit.... ;) :lol: .

I hear that the skivt-l web version is as good as any 'forum' implementation.

http://list.uvm.edu/archives/skivt-l.html

Besides, the skivt-l admin, so I hear, hasn't the technical wherewithal to implement php code.

Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:08 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next