View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:31 pm

Reply to topic  [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
new forum 

Post Re: new forum
Steve,
I believe that you will know when a reply is posted if you "subscribe to the topic". It seems to me that you can also subscribe to the overall forum to be notified of all new posts to the forum. Before sending you post or reply, make sure to click the box that notifies you when a reply is posted.
Clearly, the more that people use the forum and learn how it works, the better it will become for all. If I can learn it, most anyone can!
Hope all is well,
John Stetson

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:22 pm

i will be notified, yes but only that someone has commented...not what the comment is. and to see the comment, i need to log in, go to a web site etc. many steps. it really has cut down on the list traffic dramatically. 300 subscribers down to 128...only a few posts since september. 28 i think. do the math, look at it, see for yourself how much the list traffic has diminished. i think this could be fixed...but for now, the forum is nearly useless! learning it and using it are 2 different things...make it simple and accesible, which it is not, allow people to go back and forth easily.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:21 pm

Post looking to rent valley house
January 15-February 15...possible until march 15...cash up front
smacken@mac.com

Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:00 pm

I have to wonder why we even have this forum anymore. There are so few postings and, as much as I didn't like this new format, I registered and often check in to see what's new. Half the time my password is not accepted and I have to try again, which does work. Often I am kicked back out and sent to log-in again and often I cannot log out. In my view, this 'experiment ' failed and I find the whole thing very frustrating. It was so easy before. I'm sorry that people did not always 'filter' their comments, but we did have quite a range of views and I think it was healthy for the co-op, even when people disagreed.
Vivian :(

Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:52 am

I agree wholeheartedly with Fritz and Vivian's comments. Can't we find a better way? Shareholder Facebook page?

Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:39 pm

Penny, thank you for the imnput. The problem with a Facebook page that it is real-time and that items gets pushed off the bottom of a users page very quickly (within hours).

There may be a better solution than this forum but we are giving this one a shot before we look at others. Any ideas on other solutiuons would be welcome.

Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:11 am

It would be helpful if there were a way to subscribe to all forums with one click in addition to individually for each forum (nine, if I counted correctly), which requires a whole lot of clicking back and forth if you want them all. If there were a subscribe-to-all function, people would get email notification of everything posted here - which would be at least somewhat akin to the old listserv, with everything flowing into folks' inboxes.

Now that I've subscribed, I'll be curious to see whether the text of new posts is included in the notification, and what the mechanism is for replying - on both fronts, anything that does not force folks to log in to the forum probably would help increase usage.

Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:58 pm
Profile WWW

MIke (I am guessing that that is your name), I would agree. It is one of the issues we are trying to understand.

Thanks for your input

geordie

Tue Mar 29, 2011 11:34 pm

Thanks, Geordie. And now I can confirm that the email notification does not include the text of the new post. That would be nice (and listserv-like), too, so folks can read everything in their inbox and only log in to the board if they want to reply - the way Facebook private message notification works, for example. From a search of the phpBB site I came across this reference to a modification that may be applied to make that happen: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic ... 72&t=31458 (disclaimers: I've never worked with phpBB, have mucked about very little with php itself, am not a programmer and cannot vouch for the safety or reliability of that mod).

I also searched the phpBB site for "subscribe to all forums" and found a bunch of threads by others making the same request but on very quick glance I didn't spot a modification to address this. I may well be missing something though.

Best,

Mike (indeed!)

Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:58 am
Profile WWW

Mike, thanks for the input. Yes there is a mod but we wanted to get things runniong smoothly before we had the mod installed. This will have to be done out of house as we do not have the technical expertise ourselves.

Wed Mar 30, 2011 8:07 pm
Reply to topic   [ 31 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next