View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
Another Coop Mountain 

Post Another Coop Mountain
I just read that Magic Mountain is becoming Coop owned. Does anyone know if there are any other mountains that have done this? I wish them as much luck as we have had!

Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:56 pm

Post Re: Another Coop Mountain
Hi,

Judging by our own website that says we are "...America’s only skier-owned major mountain...", I believe there are other cooperatively owned ski areas but not many and not large.

We all wish Magic luck and success.

Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:08 am

It's all in how you want to define "co-op".
Magic's situation isn't truly a cooperative in comparison to the way MRG operates and would not likely conform to Vermont's legal definition of a cooperative. Nonetheless it is still a very cool thing that we here at MRG have been supportive of and have aided as best we can. Jim, Magic's owner is a very nice guy who both Jamey and I have gotten to know over the years. Interestingly, his "right hand man" Matt Lillard is a big MRG fan and frequent skier! The only other ones that are ever mentioned in the conversation are Bridger Bowl in Montana (which is really more of a recreation association as opposed to a Co-op) - learn more at: http://bridgerbowl.com/themountain/history/
and North Creek in the Adirondacks. Check 'em out at: http://www.hickoryskicenter.com/ - VERY cool place!

We are often contacted by press and folks interested in creating a cooperative at their particular ski area and we are always as helpful as we can be. Generally after one of these conversations the feeling that MRG is so special and unique and that it "can only work here" is what I take away. We (and generations of future skiers) are so fortunate to have what we have here and we owe it all to the Co-op's shareholders. It was great to see so many active, involved owners at the Annual Meeting on Saturday! Thanks for your never-ending support!

Eric

Eric Friedman
Marketing Director

[url]Mad River Glen[/url]
PO Box 1089
62 Mad River Resort Road
Waitsfield, VT 05673

Phone: (802) 496-3551 extension: 111
Email: eric@madriverglen.com

Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:25 am

I heard that the old "Snow Valley " area down near Bromley & Stratton was looking to start up a Coop. Also Hickory Hill has had the nickname "Little Mad River" since I was kid for two reasons. #1 - the skiing is similiar & #2 - Ken Quackenbush was one of the originators.

Daryl

Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:30 pm

I have heard from a co-worker of mine (who has relatives in Terrace, British Columbia) that Shames Mountain is, or is considering, converting to a co-op ownership model.

Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:55 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]