View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 10:00 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Betsy puts Mad River Barn up for Sale 

Post Re: Betsy puts Mad River Barn up for Sale
from what I understand, the study that indicated wind power would not be feasible was done several years ago, before my time on the board. technology has changed significantly since then, and big towers are not the only option. there are small pinwheel type devices that we are using on our rural internet project. I am not an expert in this field, my point is that the information should be updated. What about these small devices attached to the base box and birdcage? Maybe with new technology something could be done. look into it! has anyone contacted NRG systems in the past 5 years to see what they could do?

this is my point with the 20th. Yes, the price is too high now, however has anyone sat down with Betsy to see if deal could be reached? for three years i wanted to have an informal discussion with her about the 20th, but was gagged by the rest of the board. I was told NOT to discuss it with her. this makes no sense to me. it doesn't cost anything to discuss this with her, find out what she's thinking…its been on the market for over a year now, no takers. Again, maybe we can't do it, but at least discuss it with her. same with wind power, update the status of technology. Bolton Valley made it work, Jimminy Peak in Mass made it work, and maybe their circumstances are different, but find out. We raised 2 million to refurbish the single, couldn't we do something similar to secure the 20th land? would we be happy if Betsy put 12 homes in that land?

shm

Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:18 am

smacken wrote:
We raised 2 million to refurbish the single, couldn't we do something similar to secure the 20th land? would we be happy if Betsy put 12 homes in that land?

No one would be happy if we lost access to the 20th or if it saw development.

But I can't imagine we'll be able to raise another 2 million again any time soon. Many already just gave generously to the Single Campaign just a few years ago. The Single is much more iconic than the 20th and roused more emotion and spirit. I can't imagine the 20th would have as much success in a campaign. Also, some of the biggest donations came from plaques on towers and chairs and lots of money came from selling the old chairs. Those are not avenues available for a massive natural glade. A small campaign might succeed, maybe a quarter million. I can't see 2 million happening again for all but a catastrophic need.

TheSnowWay.com
"Skiing is not a sport, it is a way of life." - Otto Schniebs

Thu Feb 16, 2012 11:03 pm
Profile YIM WWW

Post Re: Betsy puts Mad River Barn up for Sale, Andrew Stewart
ok, you cannot see this happening. I respect your opinion. what about the other 2000 shareholders? shouldn't we at least look into it? does it cost anything to discuss it with Betsy? way there any reason why the board wouldn't allow any discussion on this issue 3 years ago? the long term contract with betsy gives us 30 days to match any offer on this land. probably impossible. but why aren't we looking at this from a long term strategic perspective??? at least looking at what we have to work with. frankly, when I was on the board, I didn't see raising 2 mil for the single as realistic. we did it…the board seems to be focusing on the short term issues confronting us now. to keep this co-op healthy, we need to look long term as well. the 20th is a part of this long term vision, or at least from my perspective it is. I hope others will consider this…

and RIP Andrew Stewart. One of the best skiers I ever had the privilege to ski with, one of the nicest people I ever met, and I am so happy he stayed with my sons and me when I was last in VT. He taught both my sons to ski, and despite the demons he battled for years, Andrew was one of the nicest people I have ever known, and he was a true member of the MRG community. I will miss him very much, I hope he is at peace.

shm
kabul

Fri Feb 17, 2012 5:41 pm

Hi all,

I think we had better concentrate on the short term this year. We might be lucky to break even and that is if we get some more snow. If there is any cash available by the end of this year, it should be used for the patrol and repair shop buildings. They have been waiting for a long, long time to get their improvements which might have to wait another year.

We cannot get into debt. This is how the Co-Op has been successful and stayed afloat so far. I don't know how many bad snow years we can get through without some kind of fun-raising happening????.

Over these last few years the weather pattern is unusual here in Vermont, we might have to turn the mountain into a theme park. Although, the history suggests that we have had poor snow years before and the next year is super. Let's hope.

I did not know Andrew Stewart. He is at peace now.

Irma Heeter

Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:48 am

I am glad to see some discussion on this topic. clearly it is not an urgent matter now, and I'll keep quiet for a while here, but i hope others will make their opinions known, throw out some ideas, deep the discussion going. I'll try to make it to a board meeting and bring it up sometime soon…(just what you want to hear, right? :roll: )…and i would love to see the old concept drawing of a "wilderness chair" running through the 20th, with a small cabin as warming hut. at least its something to think about when we're not THINKING SNOW!

on another note, hoping to ski Afghanistan soon, next few days…i'll post something here describing the experience.

shm

Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:21 am

Good to see some conversation on this topic. I hear a LOT of talk in and around the MRG community about the 20th Hole land and people are definitley wondering what the situation is with it. They're also wondering what the Board is doing and thinking about it.
What does "The board and management continues to monitor what is going on with the Barn, 20th, and Mad River Corp." mean?
I was a bit surprised not to see anything solid about the 20th Hole in the Strategic Plan.
Let's face it, if the 20th Hole gets "closed", MRG will lose some of it's best terrain and a good percentage of it's overall terrain.
I hear people saying we cannot afford it. Well, let's drive revenue, start a conversation with Betsy and see what sort of deal might be worked out! When times get tough for a business, like this winter, marketing and management need to put it in high gear, get agressive, react and drive revenue.
It sometimes sounds like there's a bit of a sense of complacency. I hope I'm wrong!
It never ends. Thanks for the input in the forum!

Tue Feb 21, 2012 7:00 pm

Can someone clarify the difference between the 20th hole and the Mad River Barn property.

The listing for Mad River Barn is 850k and is 13 acres. Is the 20th inclusive of that or separate?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:45 pm

Regarding the wind power on the smaller scale, what happened to the wind turbine on the nest?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 6:47 pm

The 850k does not include the 20th.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:06 pm

Patrick, I think age and a hostile environment happened to the little wind turbine.

Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:52 pm
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2